Jon Laffoon is the principal of Pea Ridge High School in Arkansas, where they are using a dynamic schedule called the flex mod schedule to allow time to serve students, rather than students serving time. It is pretty remarkable and impressive.
- Save $10,000 on paper because of 1:1
- Don’t hire substitutes
- Expectation is that teachers post everything to Google Classroom when they are absent.
- Subs are just babysitters
- Time serving students rather than students serving time.
- Redesign cafeteria to make it a modern space like a starbucks.
- Supervision of students.
- 3 Core Values: Leave no trace, be responsible, use time wisely
- Teach them personal responsibility.
- You have to take on a growth mindset to make changes.
- Students skipping a class still happens, but it has not increased, though the way to work with kids has helped.
- Phase Balance – can’t have every class meet 3 days (Phase 3) a week or every class meet 4 (Phase 4) days a week.
- Schools can come learn from PRHS. Conference in the summer.
- Office of Innovation for Education Summit
- 1:1 school, is that a requirement? No.
- No more textbooks.
- Google Classroom
- How to be a transformative Principal: Be student centered. Constantly assessing how we are doing. Build a team around you. Take ownership and pride in everything you do. Become connected. Find balance.
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.