Join the #1 online conference for educational leaders: Limited Free Admission – Transformative Leadership Summit
Assistant Principal Dr. Amy Fast explores the responsibility of our schools to focus on the mission, not the mandates.
- Educators are humanitarians at heart
- NCLB made me a better teacher, but it got warped
- Focus vs. tunnel vision
- Venn diagram of academic achievement, soft skills, and internal drive
- Need everyone in schools to bring their A game every single day!
- Need to measure every single circle
- What we test gets taught
- How do we measure that success?
- Soft skills – measured through observation, should be part of curriculum.
- Measuring motivation – identify the constructs of motivation: purpose, autonomy, choice, rigor
- Student survey via google forms
- Want to know more about you than just your test scores
- Staff didn’t know them as individuals.
- Non-anonymous survey. Coded the data
- Created a high flyer list of kids who didn’t have a high connection to the school. 100 kids who were the most disconnected.
- Hard to measure the intangibles? Just ask the kids!
- Measuring the right things
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.