Eric Heiser is the Exective Director of Sturgis Public Charter School in Massachusetts, where students have a 20% chance of getting in if you don’t have a sibling
- International Baccalaureate has programs from K–12 and early college.
- IB Diploma program the best preparation for College.
- IB Program is a whole conception of a program. Rigorous courses and also character building.
- Theory of knowledge, Creative action and service activities.
- Gain points for what they know, rather than losing points for what they don’t.
- Very few multiple choice tests in the assessments given.
- IB for All – no non-IB courses for grades 11 and 12. 9th and 10th grade IB Prep.
- Students challenge themselves, and grow into their commitment of becoming all they can be.
- Special Needs at Sturgis on the web site
- Guiding points on vision: 1. Help each student maximize their own individual potential. 2. Student learning is why we are here and should drive every decision we make.
- Moving away from the word teach and saying “How do we create learning?”
- 3 Rs – Rigor, Relevance, Relationships
- IB provides external accountability for Rigor.
- Help students see how what they are learning is relevant to their life.
- Relationships are enhanced with smaller numbers (2 campuses with 400 students each).
- School culture has a deep impact on the students’ learning.
- Don’t do ranking, valedictorians, etc. Want students to be their own personal best.
- To help students be successful, they need a lot of support, counseling, and care.
- Schools can unintentionally create systems and events that detract from student learning.
- Recruiting outstanding faculty is the most important thing I do.
- Relationship is the most important thing about school.
Ready for a Modern Web Site for your school? Simple School Sites is the place to go for high quality WordPress sites specially designed for schools.
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.