- Author of many books.
- If ideas are too abstract and we can’t address the practical needs of kids then academia is in trouble.
- Address both the academic and non-academic needs of kids.
- Equality vs. Equity.
- Equality is treating everyone the same.
- It makes no sense in education because we know all kids are different.
- Equity is about understanding differences. It is not about lowering the standards. Compensate for needs that kids that bring.
- Adjust how we do homework to meet the needs of kids that are in front of us.
- Don’t penalize kids because they don’t have the same circumstances as someone else.
- Many kids are relational learners and they will learn better with people they trust and care about.
- You start from the premise that we do best when we are in a community.
- The conditions for learning
- More likely to punish kids with the greatest needs.
- What sorts of things must we do to make edu equitable for kids.
- Build a partnership with the family.
- Partnership must be rooted in trust and respect in order for it to have success.
- Teachers get almost no training on how to work with parents, especially when parents are from a different
- We don’t want to judge anyone.
- What we want is empathy. It is not pity, it is not looking down on anyone. We don’t make excuses for them.
- When we act with empathy, we demonstrate that we care.
- How do we build empathy?
- “You know more about your child than I do. What can you tell me about your child that will help me teach him or her.”
- It is important to let the parent know that we are aware of their child.
- Parents want their child to be successful.
- It should Never be the case that the only time we talk with parents is when children are in trouble.
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours: Create your ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your life!
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.