A continuation of my discussion with Eric Heiser, Exectuve direction or Sturgis Public Charter school in Mass.
- Teachers go above and beyond often.
- Teachers who join us are into teaching students, not content.
- Students thrive on feedback, and if they feel they are going to get it, they are going to go to teachers for it more often.
- Teachers mindset has to be, I’m going to do everything I can to help kids be successful.
- How do you tease out that mindset?
- If I took over your class, and I had no clue about what you were teaching, what words and phrases would your students have about you? How does the teacher see their role and connection?
- Tell me something that went really well in the last week and why it went well.
- Tell me something that didn’t go well and why didn’t it?
- How did you choose your university? Tell me about your favorite class at university and why they were your favorite?
- How do you connect outside the classroom and why do you do that?
- Student discipline is not about the consequence, but it is about the opportunity to build a connection with the student after a situation and help the student see what they could have done.
- Should be about the student growing, not about consequences.
- Professional development focused on three areas: 1. Differentiation 2. Habits of mind 3. IB-specific training
- Helping all faculty integrate Theory of Knowledge questions.
- Preparing students well for assessments, but helping faculty collaborate daily.
- Guiding principle is helping each student maximize their potential.
- Recruited 5 people over the past month and a half who are the best.
- Build passion and enthusiasm in their class, because it is about student learning.
- We want every teacher to be at the top of their game every year.
- If you’re really really careful about who you hire, you can be successful.
- Tell faculty to recommend those who are great. Only recommend top 15%.
- We want our kids to experience a star, each and every day.
- Start with Why Simon Sinek TED Talk
- Don’t measure student success on a specific score on a specific assessment. It is different for each student.
- It’s not about a number, it is about them.
Ready for a Modern Web Site for your school? Simple School Sites is the place to go for high quality WordPress sites specially designed for schools.
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.